Cupcake Bites (easy version)Stolen from
1 box of prepared cake mix
1 can of icing
candy melts (colored ones)
candy melts (milk or dark chocolate)
sprinkles and M&Ms (or other decorations)
I got this recipe from Bakerella's post on Cupcake Bites Made Easy. The little cupcakes are so cute!! Her instructions and site are much more informative, but the basics are to:
- Bake the cake as directed (you can also use your own recipe for the cake and icing) using the 9x13 instructions.
- After the cake is completely cooled, crumble into a large bowl.
- Add the icing. She claims to use the whole can (or almost the whole can), but I thought that would be too much. I put in probably at least 3/4ths of the can to the point where the consistency was easy to roll into appropriately sized balls. They should be able to fit into the mold. Since I have a lot of experience with the OREO truffles, the process was very familiar.
- Put the cake balls in the freezer until they are firm (not frozen).
- Put a little chocolate in the candy mold (like the kind used to make peanut butter cups). Push the ball into the cup until the chocolate comes just to the top of the mold.
- Put the molds in the freezer for a few minutes to let it set. I ran out of candy melts and tried using baking chocolate for the rest. The baking chocolate did not set nearly as well.
- Pop the balls out of the mold and dip the tops into the melted colored mixture. Add the sprinkles and M&Ms right away (the candy melts harden fast!
- Store in a tightly sealed container.