Mandy's Holy Grail Sugar CookiesStolen from Amanda Redfern
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- Simple Icing (see recipe in desserts)
- Beat butter, sugar, and salt at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Add vanilla; beat until well blended. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended. Dough will be very soft.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions; wrap each with plastic wrap, and flatten into a disc. Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap 1 dough disc on a well floured surface. Cover with a large piece of plastic wrap, and roll to 1/4-inch thickness; cut into desired shapes with 3 1/2 inch cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Chill 15 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining disc.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 14 to 17 minutes or just until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool completely (about 30 minutes). Decorate cookies with Simple Icing. Let stand 1 hour or until icing is firm.
Makes about 2 dozen (3 1/2 inch cookies). This five-ingredient dough can be made up to three days ahead.