About Us Blog Books Games Movies Music Photos Trips
Prev | Detailed List | Next

Roger Waters Roadtrip

Click to view Roger Waters Roadtrip photo album

Washington, DC and Bristow, VA
Friday, September 22, 2006 - Sunday, September 24, 2006
Roger Waters Roadtrip photos

Purpose: To see Roger Waters in concert (and do a little sightseeing)

More details:
I have wanted to see Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame perform live for a while. When I heard that he was doing a North American tour, I thought that it would be a good opportunity for a roadtrip. I was excited when I heard that he would be performing Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety! I was able to convince Gabe, Erin, and Dave to join me on the roadtrip.

We left from our house after work, around 6:30pm. Erin made sure that we were sufficiently entertained in the car with Madlibs and books of questions. We were staying in Maryland with Erin's sister, and the drive wasn't too bad. It seemed to pass fairly quickly - we played some iPod Name-That-Tune and had numerous interesting discussions on this, that, and the other. We stopped for dinner at Cracker Barrel (yum), and we ended up arriving at Erin's sister's place around 1am.

We woke up the next morning and headed to Eggspectation which was a tasty brunch place (as you might guess, they have many dishes involving eggs). Our service wasn't fantastic, but the food was pretty good. It was a pretty popular place, so we amused ourselves with literary crossword puzzles while we waited for a table.

Afterwards, the four of us left Erin's sister and went to ride the subway into DC. We had one mission: The International Spy Museum. I had been to the museum once before and enjoyed it, and the others wanted to give it a try. We spent several hours at the museum - there's so much information! We were all given secret identities before entering the museum as well as missions to complete.

After the museum, we headed back on the subway and hopped into the car to drive to the concert. We were glad that we had plenty of time to get to the venue. We encountered a good bit of traffic on the way (I'm sure it is normal for that area). When we got there, we noticed a bunch of trucks parked on the grass along the side of the road. We were curious about that situation and soon found out that it was privileged parking for SUVs and trucks. Hooray for being an SUV-owner!

We waited in line for the show, and I bought a concert t-shirt. It was pricy, but I really wanted to get a shirt from this show. Since we were so early, we were close to the front of the line and were able to get really great seats on the lawn. We did have to make a pretty mad dash up the stairs and down the lawn once they allowed us into our "seats!" We brought blankets, cards, and snacks and played some spades before the concert started.

The show was everything that I had hoped it would be. I was very excited about finally getting to see at least part of Pink Floyd. The setlist was as follows:

FIRST HALF: In The Flesh, Mother, Set The Controls For the Heart Of The Sun, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Have A Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Southampton Dock, The Fletcher Memorial Home, Perfect Sense parts 1 and 2, Leaving Beirut, Sheep

SECOND HALF: Dark Side of the Moon

ENCORE: The Happiest Days Of Our Lives, Another Brick In The Wall (Pt 2), Vera, Bring the Boys back Home, Comfortably Numb

The show was really a great experience. Every song was accompanied by a variety of visuals in addition to sounding pretty close to the original versions. Almost all of my favorite Pink Floyd songs were played (if not all). Highlights included Leaving Beirut (accompanied by a powerful story and illustration) and the flying pig during Sheep. The pig made its way through the covered seats area and then out onto the lawn. I'm still not sure whether the release of the pig was intentional, but it was pretty cool to see it drifting towards the moon. The show also had no lack of political statements, which was not surprising, of course. All in all, it was one of my favorite concert experiences of all time.

After the show, we hopped into my car and were able to drive out with NO traffic or problems. The SUV parking was awesome! We were amazed at how quickly it enabled us to get out of the parking lot. Driving off the curb was a little bit scary, but it wasn't too bad...just not something I'm used to doing in my car.

We returned to Robin's place and watched Weeds on DVD. That was the first time that Dave, Gabe, or I had seen the show. Afterwards, we were all pretty tired and headed to bed.

Sunday morning, we got our things together and left Robin's place to go meet Criss, a friend of Erin's. Criss and her husband Peter recently purchased their first house and have been renovating it like crazy. We had seen before and after photos - it's pretty impressive! We met her for lunch, and then we went over to the house afterwards to see the renovations for ourselves.

Afterwards, it was time to head back home to Raleigh. We had some traffic around the DC area, but most of the way wasn't too bad. We amused ourselves with iPod Name-That-Tune, Super Password, and 20 Questions. We made pretty good time on the way back as well. Great trip!